Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 93: A 20-mile day

I felt extra ambitious today and decided to log 20 miles. I got a little over 8 miles in on the way to work, and over 11 miles on the way home. It's interesting when you set your "finish line" out farther than usual...it's not as painful as you expect. The ride was pretty flat, so not a big deal to a regular biker, but a big achievement for me.

I usually bike from 8th South to 26th South on the way home. Today I biked from 8th South to 45th South, then turned around and came back to 26th South. When I arrived home my little girl and wife played a royal sounding trumpet fanfare on the iPhone and my little girl carried a homemade flag with "DAD" written on it to greet me. What a great cheerleader section!

After biking to work, I've noticed that I go into this tired mode. I've been reading a book called, "The Big Book on Bicycling" published by Bicycling Magazine. It has a few chapters on nutrition and what and when you should be eating after a good bike ride. I stopped by a Maverick on the way to work and bought a Clif bar and ate it. My tired mode today actually didn't hit me until I was about 3 hours past that Clif Bar. I think my body needs some nutrition immediately after the bike ride...lots of water too. And it looks like about 2.5 hours after that post-ride snack, it's time to have lunch. It is true...eating about every 2-3 hours helps feed the fire.

It's interesting that I'm even going through this thinking process. For the past MY ENTIRE LIFE, I've never even thought about how my body deals with food and exercise. Maybe at the age of 47, it's a good time to start.

As I write this, I can feel the little furnace inside me burning. I am hoping that I can get down past 334.2 this week because that is the lowest I've been in the past 2 weeks. I've got to break through the 30s and get into the darn 20s!

Guess what...

Tomorrow will begin the 1 year countdown to 210 lbs.!

These 3-months have gone quick! However the ride has just begun.

Distance

Monday-0
Tuesday-8.2
Wednesday-12.35
Thursday-20.31

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments