Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 158-Weigh-in Day: 316.8lbs


WEEK 22
Start Weight: 365.4
Last Week's Weight: 324.6
Current Weight: 316.8
This Week’s Weight Loss: 7.8lbs
Total Weight Loss: 48.6lbs
Miles Biked this Week: 124.02
Total Miles Biked: 1404.95
Miles to Go: 6095.05

GEOGRAPHY (Where I'd be on the map having started at my house in Salt Lake City, Utah, heading for Tokyo):
Pacific Ocean (700 miles off the west coast. I am heading for the Hawaiian Islands)

WEEK’S MILEAGE
Monday: 16.22
Tuesday: 25.42
Wednesday: 16.09
Thursday: 14.07
Friday: 36.18
Saturday: 16.04


TODAY:
I think this has been one of the hardest working weeks I’ve had. My legs have been pretty sore, but I’ve seen progress in many areas. One of the areas of improvement is mentally. I think I am willing to do more, that a few months ago I would have never have considered doing. These are only baby steps, but I am learning to push a little harder mentally.

I went on a bike ride this morning with 3 of my friends. On the steep hills they left me in the dust. On the steepest hill, I had to get off and walk. The bugger turns into 7-9% grade for a half mile. I made it about half way, but my legs wouldn’t do any more. It’s a good reminder that I still have a long ways to go! This challenge is 60% physical, 40% mental!

This is the mile-long steep hill in the middle of our ride. I had to walk up the last half of it. Humiliating! ;)


LEARNED:
I am learning how my body works, and how water plays an important role in things. I have seen that I don’t drink enough water, and that I am semi-dehydrated much of the time. I can tell by the color of my pee. (sorry to be so clinical, but we all do it, and it’s a good way to tell how well hydrated you are.) The other day I drank a lot of water, and rode a long ways. I still hadn’t downed enough water. So I need to remember…drink, drink, drink!

Also, I have a theory why I gained weight last week. During my vacation, I was a little more lax on what I was eating. I noticed I was eating more sweet and salty foods than usual. When you don’t delute that stuff with water, your body will retain it, and the result is seen on the scale. If you’re hydrating well, and eating more natural unprocessed foods, you won’t retain the water. At least as I’ve read, studied, and watched myself, I’ve seen that happen.

After a ride, you need to replenish your body with sodium that you lose in sweat, even if you don’t think you sweat that much. Eating, and including something salty after a ride, and again, hydrating well, is good maintenance.

Everyday I wonder why I took on this challenge. It isn’t easy. I’ve always been one that hated running back in my high school PE days. I wasn’t a big sports guy. Physical pain was something that I shunned, and still do! But I am getting up early in the mornings, riding, doing hill climbing, eating well, and trying to get to bed early. And I am almost at the 50lbs lost mark. I guess one reason I am doing the challenge is to lose weight. So I am accomplishing that. But building stamina, and hill climbing continues to frustrate me because I have all this weight that is slowing me down. Oh well, the work is to shed the weight! Lose the dang weight so I can climb a dang hill! Dang it!

EATING:
I have been a very good boy this week. I ate like I am in training, and stayed away from all temptations. I learned my lesson over the past few weeks. It’s just easier to be a good boy and eat the right stuff, rather than veer off track a little and then have to make up for lost time.

I am being very careful in feeding my body after rides to make sure that it is happy. Also, my wife makes killer Tuna Salads! That and some peanut butter and celery is great power food. It satisfies and primes the bod to ride well.

Again, Clif Bars have come in handy. I keep them in my drawer at work, and if I start to get hungry, I can down one of those in a pinch and it does the job.

FILM:
I am going to go up to Big Cottonwood Canyon hopefully this week and do a first attempt up on my bike. I know I am crazy, and that this is a mean climb, but it resembles Mount Fuji. It is my ride. And it’s the ride I get to learn to do over and over. So, stay tuned for a sample video of that fun.

5 comments:

  1. You are so inspiring! This is an amazing goal. I've said it before, but it's always so cool to see how far you've come. It's a great reminder to me, to see how consistent baby steps (as you call it), wield such great progress over a little time. I can't believe you even attempted 45th south. I don't dare! Sam did that a couple of times (his parents live by Olympus Hills Park) and it was grueling. And Big Cottonwood? So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragment. Still a long road ahead, but we're making our way. Sam should come biking with us. Every Saturday morning we meet at 6am. Talk with you soon!

      Don

      Delete
  2. Wow Don nice week numbers!!! Congrats on the success keep it up!

    EMILIO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job. I think right now I am at 60% mental. I have an hour commute, so on the way home I try and think up every excuse why I should not work out. It kinda made me laugh yesterday..yesterday it was "its raining I don't want to get wet" then I laughed..are you kidding me? So I went..was *sprinkled on* and felt glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am finding out the mental vs physical aspects too! Learning that your body can do more than your brain lets you think it can do is an amazing feeling! Seeing your progress with your bike has inspired me to start riding instead of just the walking I've been doing. I think a new bike will be my birthday present to me. Thanks for the inspiration and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments