Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day 354-Weigh-in Day: 305lbs

-->
WEEK 51
Start Weight: 365.4
Last Week’s Weight: 314.8
Current Weight: 305
This Week’s Weight Loss: 9.8lbs
Total Weight Loss: 60.4lbs
Miles Biked this Week: 20.1
Total Miles Biked: 2187.71
Miles to Go: 5312.29

GEOGRAPHY (Where I'd be on the map having started at my house in Salt Lake City, Utah, heading for Tokyo):
Pacific Ocean (1475 miles off the west coast. I am heading for the Hawaiian Islands)

This Week’s Workout
Monday: Gym
Tuesday: 9.84 miles
Wednesday: 8.27 miles
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 2 miles on Spin bike
Saturday: Rest

TODAY:
Well, I cannot believe it!!! I lost almost 10lbs this week! I did a test this week. I made a drastic change in my diet and my exercise. I have totally cut sugar out of my diet. I have discovered that cereal and fruit, the primary sources of sugar in my previous diet have been sabotaging my weight loss. It’s okay to eat that stuff once one has achieved their target weight, but I have been on a plateau for the past 7 months ping ponging at a certain weight. That is what you call “maintaining” your weight. I don’t want to do that.

So, based on the first week of this experiment, sugar and “white” carbs have been sabotaging my weight loss. I am now not eating potatoes, rice, grains, bread, and fruit. I am not drinking anything with calories in it. I cut out soy milk. I am drinking solely water. I will figure out where I can get the calcium I used to get from soy milk.

So what specifically am I doing? Here is what I began to do this week.

I eat protein, veggies and beans. I’ve been eating chicken, beef, pork and fish. I then eat broccoli, asparagus, green beans, spinach---basically whatever veggie I want. Then I have a half can of beans---black beans, pinto beans, or lentils.

I can eat all I want, and I haven’t been counting calories like I have been over the past year. It hasn’t necessarily been a fun and exciting way to eat this week, but it’s a great recipe for eating healthy and losing weight. I know I can come up with more interesting combinations.

When I did Body for Life 10+ years ago, the plan allowed one day to eat whatever you wanted---a free day. So I am considering a free day too. However I don’t know if I want to let my hair down once a week just yet/ I’m parnoid that I’ll ruin my hard work! ;) I think I will eat a few more items that I want on my free day, but not go totally crazy yet.

I am kind of holding my breath this first week, hoping that I can see positive results this second week. I am going to see if I can sustain this trend over a month’s time. If I can, I’ll know that I am onto something.

As far as my exercise, this week I did some interval training both on the treadmill and on my spin bike. I also got a couple of days of riding my bike to work because the weather was good. I worked out 5 days this week!

I know as I start to do more and more intense workouts---riding my bike longer and longer---that I will need to figure out the nutrition for feeding while biking. I have heard that instead of relying on carbs for fuel, that you can teach your body to rely on burning fat for fuel.

I know that in the running and cycling world that there are some that can’t buy that philosophy, but I’ve read papers on how they did some tests with cycling athletes who didn’t fuel with carbs, and instead fueled with a diet of protein, veggies and fats. Their results were amazing. I will see if I can track down the info and share it with you.

Anyway, I think this week I’ve seen more progress and movement in the direction I want to go, than I have in the past 7 months. As I’ve always said, this journey is for me to learn and discover. I don’t think that I wasted 7 months at all. It was the path I needed to be on to get to the next part of the journey. It’s all education.

I feel I have “shifted gears” this week, and am excited to see where this new focus takes me.

Next week is my ONE YEAR anniversary. We all need to celebrate somehow. Wouldn’t it be cool if I could officially celebrate my anniversary having lost 6lbs and joining the 200 Club?! I didn’t realize that I’d be this close today. Well, it is exciting to feel progress.

I’ll check in soon!

Sugar-free Don























What meals look like around here.




1 comment:

  1. Good Going! Bone broth is a good source of calcium and other minerals. A Paleo thought I have - Grok (the caveman) has been shown to have really strong bones and he did not eat dairy, so where did he get calcium? Perhaps the high carb modern day diet screws with things, so that the RDA is not necessary on a whole foods diet (sans grain and sugar). Americans get more calcium than most everyone else in the world, yet we have pretty much the worst oesteoporosis. People who are lactose intolerant in other parts of the world don't eat dairy or fortified soy either. I believe if the bone nutrients are complete and balanced in your diet (ie. vitamins D3, K2, A, and magnesium) it takes less calcium for optimal health because the calcium goes to your bones and teeth and stays out of your soft tissues like arteries.

    Chris Masterjohn has written tons of great stuff on vitamins, minerals and cholesterol over at his blog "The Daily Lipid". One particularly good article is http://www.westonaprice.org/vitamins-and-minerals/beyond-good-and-evil

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments