Saturday, February 2, 2013

Day 333-Weigh-in Day: 318.2lbs

WEEK 45
Start Weight: 365.4
2 Week’s Ago Weight: 309.8
Current Weight: 318.2
This Week’s Weight Loss: +8.4lbs
Total Weight Loss: 47.2lbs
Miles Biked this Week: 0
Total Miles Biked: 2101.4
Miles to Go: 5398.6

GEOGRAPHY (Where I'd be on the map having started at my house in Salt Lake City, Utah, heading for Tokyo):
Pacific Ocean (1390 miles off the west coast. I am heading for the Hawaiian Islands)

This Week’s Workout
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Rest

TODAY:
You know, I’ve been in a rut a couple of times during the past year, and I am in the midst of another one. I haven’t done any workouts this week either…I think it’s been 3 weeks since I went to the gym and got on a bike. I have to be accountable to you…and again, this is embarrassing. I have to admit that this is the closest I’ve been to falling off the wagon…but don’t worry, I am not going to. I have come too far to stop now. In fact, I would never stop. I get to start getting smart and get going again.

I have noticed this week that I have lost the stamina I once had. I did a 6-hour shoot today, and was exhausted. I remember doing a 12-hour shoot last summer before I started feeling tired. My knees are feeling weaker, and I’ve just been feeling run down. Why am I feeling this way? Because I’ve been eating bad, overeating, and drinking soda! I admit it! I don't like the way I am feeling. This evening I ate an apple for the first time in a few weeks, and drank some water. Enough is enough.

What has caused me to derail? I can point to 2 things…
1        
      1)    I have not prepared my food. I had a good little system going where I had all my meals    for the day prepared to take to work. Not preparing the meals results in hunger, eating out,   and just plain frustration.
2       
      2)    Not making the decision to work out in the morning. This combined with a long day at work makes for low willpower at the end of the day, and thus I’m too tired to get myself to the gym at night.

I’ve got to change these two things. If I’m prepared with food, I can simply eat and I’m happy! And if I can just make that decision to get out of my warm bed in the morning and walk out into the cold, then I’ll get my workout in.

Today was a gorgeous day in the mid 40s and it looks like this week will be a warmer week…mid 30s. I absolutely want to get outside and get on my bike and ride! It’s kind of funny that to me the mid 30s is warm.

I’ve enjoyed sharing with you my successes, but not so much my rut. Again, it is what I have chosen to do to help me stay accountable. So along with the public humiliation, I will just focus on making these two items above work this week. It’s clear where my weak points are right now. Maybe I will pay my daughter $1 if she can help me get out of bed every morning. It would be worth it to me.

Now, let me tell you about a couple of successes this week. These are simply things I want to share about some of you that are following this blog. I won’t list names, but you will know who you are as I share.

Last week I had a friend who lives on the east coast take the time to call me and leave me a message of encouragement. This meant so much to me! Even if only one person is reading this blog, it’s good to know that they are watching…it helps keep me accountable. Thank you! And I thank all of you who leave comments on the blog. You are powerful to me, and a great motivating factor in my life. This blog stuff is a great way to get “pushed” along! Again, Thank You!!

Also, I got word that someone that reads this blog has decided to stop eating sugar. This person apparently has been dealing with a lot of pain in their daily activities. They are not that old, but pain has been an issue for them. This person has made the decision to eliminate sugar out of their diet! And now, apparently the pain is subsiding!! I think this is great news! There is something about this processed food stuff that does not help our bodies. Each body is different and each of us reacts differently to all the crap out there. This reduction in pain by this reader is another witness that sugar, and processed grains may not be good for us…or at least not at the levels that we all eat them at. Anyway…congratulations to you…and you know who you are!

Okay, I want to experience more good news. I hope that next week I can share some personal good news with you from the results of working out and eating right!

In closing, I was curious what you think of the new website? If you go to http://www.210again.com you will land on it. Before you would land on my blog. Now you’ll find a link on the website to the blog. Let me know what else you’d like to see on the site, or what you think would make it better. It is obviously a work in progress.

Also, please LIKE my http://www.facebook.com/210again Facebook page. Starting today I will be posting my weigh-in updates there, and no longer on my personal page. Of course, I'd love to have you subscribe to this blog to!

Have a great week…and I’ll check in soon!

Don

Help...we've got a lot of snow here in Utah!

I wouldn't recommend riding on these roads on a bike.

2 comments:

  1. You certainly have a lot of snow. My family used to live in Eastern Oregon and we got snow like that. My husband did not have a driver's license at the time and his bike was his main transportation. Snow did not stop him - he got some chains for his bike. I was too chicken to ride on the snow, but they seemed to help him.

    Yes, please get rid of sugar and grain from your diet and give that a go. All the years I spent fighting the weight battle (but not losing the weight) were miserable. I would do okay for a few days and I would just be hungry all the time until I just had to eat - the drive to eat was always there wearing down my willpower. I finally went low-carb. Guess what? The drive to eat disappeared and I did not have to be hungry. I figured at the time it had to be some kind of hormone thing that changed when I eliminated carbs, but it was/is wonderful - no more slave to constant hunger/cravings. I now believe that metabolic problems basically stem from consuming processed foods and the number of carbs (including unprocessed ones) one can eat is based on how "broken" their metabolism is. Minimizing insulin is where it is at for the carb intolerant (one doesn't have to be a diabetic to be carb intolerant - just insulin resistant). Low insulin allows for fat burning. Ditching carbs leads to low insulin. Once one figures this out, one realizes that the carby way of life is over forever. If one ever adds them back in (and it doesn't take many) one will be fat again because higher insulin will shove what one eats back into the adipose tissue. Since you exercise so much, you should be able to eat more carbs than someone who doesn't - just get them from non-grain whole foods. Losing weight is a process anyway. Lose weight on whatever one is doing, then one plateaus. Tweak the diet - usually eliminate something and it works again for awhile, then it stops. Time for another tweak etc. I still have 35 lbs to lose and I'm not sure what it's going to take to get them off. More exercise is a start as long as it doesn't lead to more hunger. Best wishes and just never give up - you will find a way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie_B, This coming week is going to be a good one. We've had a lot of overcast skies over the past few weeks. Finally the sun came out recently and I feel like my willpower is filling back up.

      Thanks for the continued encouragement.

      Don

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments