Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 451-Weigh-in Day: 280.6lbs

WEEK 63
Start Weight: 365.4
Last Week’s Weight: 281
Current Weight: 280.6
This Week’s Weight Loss: 0.4lbs
Total Weight Loss: 84.8lbs
To Go: 70.2lbs
Miles Biked this Week: 38.11
Total Miles Biked: 2408.22
Miles to Go: 5091.78

GEOGRAPHY (Where I'd be on the map having started at my house in Salt Lake City, Utah, heading for Tokyo):
Pacific Ocean (1688 miles off the west coast. I am heading for the Hawaiian Islands which is 2650 miles from San Diego)

Weekly Bike/Workout Totals
Last Week: REST
Monday: REST
Tuesday: REST
Wednesday: 14.25 miles (bike)
Thursday: 13.04 miles (bike)
Friday: 10.82 miles (bike)
Saturday: REST

TODAY:
Well, tomorrow it’s T-Minus 90 days to “The Ride!” Where am I today? Things are moving along very well. It’s been a few weeks since I got my bike and I am still madly in love with it. I tell my wife every day how much I love my bike. That sounds kind of weird doesn’t it? But she knows that there is no competition ;) I didn’t get riding until mid-week but got some good rides in with some good hills. It seems that every other day I look at the elevation of the hills I’m riding and then compare it to the elevation of Fuji and it scares me. I think I’ve shared this many times before…it’s an obsession. Really all I can do is train the best I can, and then hope for the best in August.

I’m a little bummed at lack of weight loss this week, But a half pound IS better than nothing. I know that this is not Biggest Loser and that large amounts of weight will not come off at a set time every week. I’ll continue to work hard, and I know I’ll see more results. One thing that I do need to improve on is weight training. Since I broke my wrist, I haven’t been doing any weight training. So, maybe I need to get back in my routine and get up early, lift weights and do my crunches.

I have been trying to find the right bike clothing and shoes to ride in. I’ve discovered that cyclists are small people. Have you ever seen what a horse jockey looks like? Well, that's what most of them look like J. I might look like the horse sitting on the jockey. Maybe not that bad but geeee bike stores, can’t you manufacture clothes and shoes for larger people too? I guess when you have a size 14-15 foot, things are a little harder to find. But I did finally find some stuff after a loooong search.

I found some good sales at backcountry.com and Performance Bicycle today. I finally ordered my road bike shoes, pedals, shorts and jerseys. Those have been the items I have been missing. I’ll be excited to learn how to bike with cleats, but a little nervous too. And I am wondering if I should try and learn how to use them this week and jump into the bike race next Saturday in them, or if I should start after? Hmmmm. I think I’ll jump in!

I have to be honest, when I started this challenge last year, I really envisioned myself standing on the top of Fuji at 210 pounds. Today, with 3 months left to Fuji, I am not sure if I can get there. Am I bummed? A little, but I am now looking past Fuji to achieve 210lbs. I keep reminding myself that compared to where I was last year, I’ve made great progress. If I can get to the top of Fuji having lost a 100 pounds, don’t you think that is something to be proud of? By putting Fuji out in front of me, it has been the fire to my rear. It has caused me to do things that I normally wouldn’t have done. So, I am choosing to smile and pat myself on the back, instead of get discouraged. But I remind you, there is still 3 months left ;)

Well, if you have any advice, I’d love to hear it. Next Saturday is my first bike race…a 52-miler. Any advice on how to prepare for it, or what I should do during it would be appreciated. Again, I am not doing this to win, I am doing this to finish.

Happy Memorial Day…remember the great men and women that sacrificed so that we can live our lives to the fullest. May we never forget them, or their gift.

Don



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments