Monday, April 22, 2013

Day 418: Cast has come off!

Well, I went into the Orthopedist's office this afternoon and got my cast cut off! Finally!! It wasn't as pain-free as I thought it would be. The arm has atrophied, the muscle is weak, and there is pain as I squeeze and rotate my hand. They told me that much of this is due to the cast. They x-rayed my wrist and said the bone is healing nicely.

Things will be stiff for a while, and they want me to be easy on things for another 3 weeks or so.  I'll go back for another check up in 3 weeks.

The doc said I could get on the bike if I wanted, but if anything would slow me down it will be the pain. I am planning on the pain...that's okay.

My wife videotaped the doctor visit. My little girl was there and she didn't know that the electric saw they use would not cut me. She freaked a little when the doc just started cutting the cast off. Ha ha.

When we got home, my daughter and I immediately ran to the back patio, grabbed out bikes, and went on a test ride to see if I could even get on and stand riding the bike. It's a little painful jumping on and taking the first pedal, but once on, I can actually ride with very minimal pain! This is good news. However when getting off the bike the hand is stiff and so I am sure I need to keep moving and stretching my hand as I ride.

I think I am going to start riding to work beginning tomorrow! There is no time to rest.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a little update.

Talk with you soon!

Don


The only cast signing took place 1 minute before it was cut off.

Cutting off the cast.

"Ouch, that's a bit sore!"

Immediately on the bike!
Nice to be on a road bike again!

1 comment:

  1. Take care, take rest. You will get well soon.

    -Honeybee
    http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments