Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 102-Weigh-in Day: 329.6lbs


WEEK 14
Start Weight: 365.4
Last Week's Weight: 332.2
Current Weight: 329.6
This Week’s Weight Loss: 2.6lbs
Total Weight Loss: 35.8lbs
Miles Biked this Week: 83.86
Total Miles Biked: 773.31
Miles to Go: 6726.69

GEOGRAPHY (Where I'd be on the map having started at my house in Salt Lake City, Utah, heading for Tokyo):
San Nicolas Island, California (71 miles off the West coast. I am heading for the Hawaiian Islands)


TODAY:
I created a Twitter account where I am uploading every ride that I do. You can see a map of my route, with the distance and times for everything. If you want to get the updates, you can follow me at: @210AgainDon

There’s a cool free app from MapMyRide.com that uses the GPS in your phone to track you ride. Their website allows you to keep track of all your workouts with all the stats. I don’t have to go to Google Maps anymore to total my rides. This app and their website now tracks it all. And I just press a button it share the ride on Twitter. So you can officially spy on me now if you’re super bored.

This week was the farthest I’ve biked to date…83.86 miles. My knees are tired, and my left knee occasionally barks at me, nothing serious, but a reminder that it needs some additional strengthening. I notice though that when I take Glucosamine that it really makes a difference.

Also this past week I hit the 100-day mark. I am grateful that I have made it this far. There are some days where I get a little discouraged because I don’t see the change as fast as I want. Other times I want to just go crazy eating. Like last night we drove past a Hawaiian pizza joint. I was imagining eating a whole pizza. Fortunately my conscience was still awake, and it quickly slapped that thought right out of my mind. Instead I went home and had 2 cups of water and went to bed. I had just gone to a picnic and eaten a couple of hot dogs, some chicken tenders, and a few chips. That to me, was over-doing it enough ;)

Speaking of the picnic, we were at Lagoon, a local amusement park here in Utah. Talk about being humbled…We went to get on the Wild Mouse ride and the safety bar couldn’t go down low enough on me. They had me move to the front seat but the bar could not go down all the way. It wasn’t like it was hitting my stomach…but my legs are just thick enough that I couldn’t get the bar down. So I had to get off the ride. It’s good to be humbled…just a reminder that I’m not a skinny guy yet :) It was a little funny, my daughter continued on the ride without me even though my wife was on there too. When she got off the ride she started to cry because her dad had to get off the ride. Poor thing. She was okay though. It was a good teaching moment.

LEARNED:
I think this week I’ve learned that I am saving probably $100 a month in gas by riding my bike. I had an interesting revelation along those lines as I was biking. Here in the Land of the Free, we have an obesity epidemic. 2 out of 3 adults are overweight. Heart disease is one of the biggest killers of adults. We have the highest gas prices we’ve had in the history of our country. It’s expensive to get around…and then this thought hit me…the bike solves all these problems! Well, the bike and a little self control.

EATING:
I’ve been eating a Clif Bar after a big ride to give my body a little boost. It seems to be working. Other areas of change are: I choose brown rice over white, wheat and whole grain bread over white, avoid eggs if I can, stay away from red meat, drink soy milk instead of cow’s milk, and make sure I get lots of veggies and fruit. I do have a constant struggle to get a good portion of veggies everyday. I have an occasional soda…maybe once a month, and haven’t bought a caffeinated drink in a good decade. I also eat a few nuts every day.

I need to go get a blood test soon so that I can see how my cholesterol, and other blood vitals are doing.

FILM:
I found a great DP (video dude) to work with me on gathering b-roll. He’s a biker himself and really has a good eye for things. We shot for a couple of hours at Liberty Park last Monday and I have a little video feature I am putting up today to show you how things are going. My wife also helped with the GoPro mobile shoot.

I might mention that the music on this piece was written by my brother David. I have another brother Duncan that is also writing music for my videos, so keep an ear out for their music. It’s great techno-groovy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments