Saturday, March 9, 2013

Day 374-Weigh-in Day: 299.6lbs

AN OFFICIAL MEMBER OF THE "200 CLUB!"

WEEK 53
Start Weight: 365.4
Last Week’s Weight: 303.8
Current Weight: 299.6
This Week’s Weight Loss: 4.2lbs
Total Weight Loss: 65.8lbs
Miles Biked this Week: 9.30
Total Miles Biked: 2206.86
Miles to Go: 5293.14

GEOGRAPHY (Where I'd be on the map having started at my house in Salt Lake City, Utah, heading for Tokyo):
Pacific Ocean (1493 miles off the west coast. I am heading for the Hawaiian Islands)

This Week’s Workout
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 9.3 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Rest

TODAY:
Well, I have achieved one of my big goals, but a little of the fanfare has been muted. First, what the achievement is…and then what the mute is…

This past week I have been monitoring my weight and have seen a consistent drop in pounds. Yesterday I got on the scale and was blown away when I saw my first weigh-in in a looooong time that started with the number “2”! The scale said that I weighed 298lbs…I weighed a little later and I was 299lbs….and then a little later…etc., etc. Then this morning the scale said I was 298lbs…and then 294lbs. Well, I am pretty sure that I am about 299…however, I know I am not 294. My wife got on the scale and she was about 5 pounds lighter than her usual weight. Well, I recalibrated the scale according to manufacturers specs, and it says I weigh somewhere between 297 and 298. Well, I find it hard to believe that I have lost that much. Is the scale broken? I will look into a scale replacement or compare with another scale.

But I will say in as loud as typing as I can…I AM NOW A MEMBER OF THE 200 CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I weigh in the 200s)

If my scale is off a tad, at least here are things that I know are accurate…

-My pants are getting too big!
-I am on my last belt loop and need a new belt!
-Yesterday I wore a 3X t-shirt!
-I put on my yellow rain jacket that my belly used to barely fit in when I’d zip it up, and now there is slack in the front of it! No stretching!!

My biggest cheerleaders, my wife and daughter, have both commented this past week that my stomach is looking a lot smaller.

Hmmmm…I think I might be changing again.

On Thursday I just had to get out and ride my bike. I rode a 10-mile route to work and took some little hills. I could feel a change from how doing hills felt last year. It seemed easier and less strenuous on Thursday. Maybe being 20-30lbs lighter helps.

My in-laws don’t know that we’re coming to Japan this summer for my bike ride. As far as they know I am still a BIG 365lbs big. Little do they know I’ve shed 65lbs. I can hardly wait to walk off the plane at Narita Airport and have them see me 155lbs lighter! I want to get their reaction on camera and plan to have a cameraman there to catch their faces.

With eating, I have noticed that I am no longer craving sweets or carbs. Yes, I’d like to eat them, but there is no longer that physiological craving. I could actually eat like this the rest of my life. I am past the “withdrawal” stage I think, and have just been preparing, packing and consuming my food like clockwork.

As you know I get 1 free day a week, and it’s been a real cool psychological boost to know that I can let my hair down on Saturday as far as eating goes. My wife and I have been joking during the week. Every time I see a restaurant I want to eat at, I tell her we’re going there on Saturday. We’re up to 9 restaurants to go to today! ;) This morning I’ve already had 2 cupcakes (saved from company party on Tuesday) and a McGriddle combo meal from McDonalds! Oh, and a glass of cow’s milk! Ahhhhhhh! And I am feeling sleepy. The only time each week I feel sleepy now is on my free day. Is it worth it? You feel like crap, but it’s a necessary outlet for now. I feel it’s a very healthy thing mentally and physically.

In 3 weeks since starting my “slow carb” way of eating with meat, beans and veggies, and cutting out ALL sugar in the form of ANY grain, I have lost about 15 pounds! I am totally sold on cutting sugar out! SUGAR IS THE CULPRIT PEOPLE! Did I say it’s the CULPRIT?

I thought that I would get on my bike and ride it 7500 miles and the weight would come off. Well, I have found that you can lose some weight, and even maintain with bike riding, but if you really want to take the weight off there is only one thing you have to do…

Stop Eating Sugar!

Plain and Simple! Everything it seems has sugar in it. I mean like just about everything. I heard of a man who has been having severe diabetic issues to the point of needing an amputation. Then somebody stopped giving him Orange Juice every morning and over a year’s time he’s lost 180lbs. That’s not the full story, but the principle of it is there.

I remember my dear grandmother, anytime we were visiting her house, would bring us fresh orange juice in the morning while we were still in bed. Nothing like starting the day out with Vitamin C and Sugar!

Don’t get me wrong, there is a place for sugar, but not when you’re really wanting to lose weight.

D it’s not just losing weight…It’s the way I feel too. I haven’t felt this level of energy in a long time!

When I started this journey a year ago, I had no clue that I would eventually end up on the no-sugar path (at least for 6-days a week.)

Notice that this week I didn’t go to the gym…and I rode my bike once. It’s really not about exercise…it’s about the food.

Well, the weather is warming up and I will be starting to get the miles in. I’m also wanting to get an hour of spin biking in every night to see what that does. I know that I need to be working on endurance and hill climbing…so here comes the pain!

Happy Cane Sugar-Free Living!

Don


4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Congratulations! I am glad you are sharing about your diet, it is REALLY inspiring me. Food is a huge a weakness of mine (my diet is mostly only simple carbohydrates), but I think I may have to give it a try and see if I can stick it out through that 10 day withdrawal period. If I can feel that kind of energy, than it's totally, totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will see how this eating style works on long bike rides. I know ineed to feed myself when riding more than an hour. So what do...eat beans? ;) One of the big challenges eating this way is getting your food all prepared in a big chunk so you don't have to be cooking so much. I try and cook 2 days at a time. And it will cost a little more.

      Delete
  2. That is such a great accomplishment for you. Very inspiring!

    Sugar Free living is the key for me. I feel so good now that I don't eat sugar. I am shocked I didn't figure this out before! I feel better than I have in 10 years. I am not able to have a free day to eat sugar because my pain comes back the next day full force. It is not worth it for me. No sugar no pain :)

    I have not gone hiking in years because it caused so much pain. Now I have little pain while I exercise. This summer I will be hiking a lot. I want to hike to Timpanogos Cave. Thanks for the inspiration to do better, eat better, exercise better, live better! I am excited to see my weight is also dropping. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sheree...I am excited to hear of your successes! I believe that our food industry does not care about the consumer's health, only sweetening things up so we get addicted and pay to get fat. If we simply ate the way God intended, we would be eating sugar-free!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments