Saturday, December 1, 2012

Day 277-Weigh-in Day: 311.6lbs


WEEK 38
Start Weight: 365.4
Last Week's Weight: 317
Current Weight: 311.6
This Week’s Weight Loss: 5.4lbs
Total Weight Loss: 53.8lbs
Miles Biked this Week: 24.7
Total Miles Biked: 1972.8
Miles to Go: 5527.2

GEOGRAPHY (Where I'd be on the map having started at my house in Salt Lake City, Utah, heading for Tokyo):
Pacific Ocean (1262 miles off the west coast. I am heading for the Hawaiian Islands)

The Weeks Workout
Monday: GYM + 5 miles
Tuesday: REST
Wednesday: GYM + 10 miles
Thursday: GYM
Friday: 9.76 miles
Saturday: Planning a casual bike ride

TODAY:
Wow, working out at the gym is really working! This week I got to the gym 3 times, but also was able to get a good bike ride in. I finally picked up my wheel at the bike shop and rode to work. I took a longer route riding up to North Temple and then to downtown, and then to work. Ahh, nice 50-degree weather blowing in my face!

I got a call from my wife towards the end of the day yesterday that our van had broken down. My other car is having alternator problems, so I go to ride my bike from work, over to where she was. Fortunately it wasn’t too far…however, it was blowing against me and I got to pedal into the wind. It wasn’t very fun. We ended up getting our van towed away and my good wife and I walked a couple of miles home.

I took the time to watch a couple of my videos I made when I first started out on my challenge. I do see progress, but again, and I know I keep harping on this, I realize I made a mistake early in the game. Now I find myself up against a bigger challenge of losing weight before next June 1st. I got comfortable eating what ever I wanted, thinking that my bicycling was burning it off. Well, it was maintaining, but not helping me lose weight. Now, my new challenge is that I have 6 months to lose 101.6lbs! Gosh, if I had only known. Well, I guess this is part of the fun of the challenge---doing, assessing, learning, shifting, doing…
Okay, so as you remember, last week I set a goal. The goal is:

By December 31, 2012, I will weigh-in in the 200’s, and leave the “300 Club” behind me in the old year.

I have at least 11.6lbs to lose in the next 30 days, that is an average of 3lbs a week. I think if I stay focused, and keep doing what I’ve been doing consistently, I will achieve that goal! That will take me down to 90lbs to lose over 5 months, with an average of 4.06lbs to lose weekly over that 22-week period. Okay, it looks difficult, but I am going to give it my best shot. I’ve learned that nothing ever works the way you want, life lifes, however, I can do some new things that I haven’t been doing. I could do an extra 30-minutes on the treadmill, stationary bike, or Elliptical. I could do an extra burning of 600 calories a day, and that will almost get me that extra pound I need.

Can you see my OCD coming out?!

LEARNED:
Okay, some of the stuff I put on my blog months ago, I wish I could go erase now. I look back and I think I sound like a fool. At first I was pretty strict. As I got into things 3-4 months, I thought simply biking along with eating less strict was going to get me to Fuji. Nope…I was a little too confident. What it really takes is making your self sweat no matter what exercise you’re doing (PAIN), and eating smaller portions more often during the day (RESTRAINT.) The cold hard facts are that for consistent weight loss, you’ve got to feel a little pain, and restrain yourself a bit. Hmmm…doesn’t sound as easy as I thought. When I first got going and my body hadn’t been exercising in my previous life, of course my body is going to shed weight. However the law of putting less in your mouth, and more in your exercise to achieve weight loss is an eternal law of physics. At first I was measuring portions, then I got a little lax and had “just a little more” of this or that when eating. Then my body got used to biking riding, and I somehow got frustrated with my plateau. A little closer and honest evaluation revealed this.

EATING:
Again, I’ve been focusing on eating 5, 400-calorie meals a day. These meals are a balance between carb and protein. A few days this week I only ate 1200-1500 calories per day. I got a little hungry at the end of one of the days, but just went to bed. I’m also trying to not eat 4 hours before bedtime. If I do eat, it’s usually an apple or something simple.

My gym workouts are usually about 60-90 minutes in length. When I get home, I eat immediately as my body needs to fuel. Sometimes when I workout in the evening, I keep the eating to a minimum before bed.

FILM:
No filming this week.
---

Don
Here is a picture of the beautiful fitness room at my hotel last week that I never used! But I made the effort to take a picture!

2 comments:

  1. Food quality is key. Keep going. Have you seen the success stories at Marks Daily Apple? Good luck and keep going. Keep the food choices non processed and avoid triggers. No amount of exercise will out do the poor food choices. Fuel with good food and check out those stories. Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen. I appreciate hearing from you!

    Don

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments